Note: OTP means One True Pairing
I caught wind of this article via my friend’s Facebook feed this morning and I had to go on a little rant.
The headline reads “Non-Conformity and Questioning Authority are Now Considered Mental Illnesses.”
This is clickbait material and misleading as all hell. Let me tell you straight out, without reading anything else, that this whole headline is not true.
View original post 1,406 more words
So, this is 16 random things about me.
Post a photo of yourself: Continue reading “16 Random Things About Yours Truly”
[NOTE: I wrote this a while back, and have submitted it as a paper to one of my gender classes before]
So I was checking out info about the male-female wage gap.
Contrary to what any anti-feminist is going to tell me, a wage gap between men and women does exist on a large scale. Currently, you’re looking at a ratio of .81, which means that approximately women earn about 19% less than men. This is generally coming out of the US Department of Labor, collected from information taken by the US Census Bureau. (1) Yes, I’m citing government studies here, among a lot of scholarly articles that I have the full PDFs of but don’t really have a way to link to it here. I’ll link the JSTOR page for it, but if you can’t read it, I’ll give you a copy of the PDF. Yes, I do my…
View original post 3,689 more words
The recent allegations against several celebrities have led to a broader conversation on how we, as a society, don’t believe women. In a “he said, she said” situation, we trust the man and assume that the woman is either mistaken or lying. “Taking us seriously” means that we are advised of such and offered an explanation for our dismissal instead of simply being dismissed outright. It’s not only personal bias, conscious or not; there are institutional mechanisms perpetuating this state of affairs. No proof is ever sufficient if it comes from a woman. Should she present multiple affidavits, all signed and notarized in triplicate, she’ll be informed that they do not prove her claim; she, on the other hand, probably violated multiple rules and procedures by collecting and presenting her evidence in the first place. She should stop before she gets into more trouble.
Meanwhile, there’s a growing crop of…
View original post 882 more words
This is a beautifully written piece! Couldn’t have said it better myself!
Michele Bachmann suggested that the gay community is bullying Americans and politicians. You can read the full article and hear the clip for yourself here. This is my response.
Dear Michele Bachmann,
I would like to provide you with a definition of a word that, for all your legal experience, you seem not to comprehend. The word “bully” has become a buzzword, a convenient way for adults who are losing an argument to shut down the conversation. When your back is against the wall, you call someone a “bully” and if they don’t allow you to gracefully exit the argument you get to say, “SEE! They ARE a bully.”
Except, that’s incorrect. “Bully” is defined variously as “a person who uses superior strength or power to harm, intimidate or influence those who are weaker.”
Now let’s reconsider your words. “…the gay community, they have so bullied the American people, and…
View original post 558 more words
The Big Blog of Knowledge (henceforth known as BBK) has nominated me for a Liebster Award! I didn’t know I was that cool. How come none of you told me?
Liebster Award Rules
- Display the award on your blog
- Nominees must answer the 11 questions given to them by the person who nominated them
- Nominees must choose 11 of their favorite bloggers that have less than 200 followers to answer their own set of questions
- When you are nominated, you cannot nominated the person who nominated you
- After choosing your nominees, drop them a comment/pingback telling them you have nominated them.
- What talent do you wish you had (that you don’t already have)? I wish I could be artsy. Like, I can write. But that’s all I can do creatively. I’d love to be able to draw/paint/etc. Something like that. Maybe even be good at Photoshop or coding or something. At least then I could create blog themes for people, or gifsets of stuff. Instead, I reblog everything I like and I content myself to writing stories no one will read.
- Are you prepared for the impending zombie apocalypse? As ready as I’ll ever be. I don’t exactly have a kit or anything, but I have a plan. I know what I will do. However, I don’t exactly see a zombie apocalypse in America ever getting off the ground. While the government might be incompetent, I know far too many people who are far too prepared for this. They’ll mobilize an army at the first sighting and squash that shit right quick. Also, I live very close to Canada, and their government actually spent a day discussing their zombie apocalypse plan. I think I’m good.
- Worst book you’ve ever read? There are few books I dislike. However, in no particular order, the ones I do hate are: Lois Lowry’s The Giver, John Knowles’ A Separate Peace, Herman Hesse’s Siddhartha, and Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca. Out of those, the one I probably hate the most is Rebecca. So very, very boring. How do you write a novel so boring? By the time we got to “the twist” I couldn’t have cared less about it. Blech.
- If you could smack one person in the face (living or dead) who would it be and why? Okay, I haven’t thought about this a lot, but it might be Alexander Graham Bell. Yes, he was cool and invented the telephone. He was also a proponent of eugenics and focused most of that on deaf people. He kinda fucked over the deaf community way back when. Besides not wanting them to congregate and get to know one another and talk in their native language (sign language) or marry, he pushed for the use of oral teaching of deaf students. Pretty much forcing them to learn how to talk and lip read and attempting to kill the use of sign language. So yeah, kind of a dick.
- Will you go out with me? Yes/No (Circle one) Can I circle? I don’t know but the answer would have to be no. You seem really awesome but I have a hunny who I am madly in love with. My hunny. Mine.
I actually don’t follow 11 blogs on this site. And only one of them seems to have less than 200 followers! If it were Tumblr, this might be different. However, my nominee is:
- Do you usually sleep with your closet door open or closed?
- Do you take the shampoo/conditioner bottles from hotels?
- Where is your next vacation?
- Do you have a calender in your room?
- Are you reading any books right now?
- Do you ever count your steps when you walk?
- Do you ever dance, even when there’s no music playing?
- Do you chew your pens/pencils?
- What is your current “song of the week”?
- Is it okay for guys to wear pink?
- Do you still watch cartoons?
Anyone who sees this and wants to answer any of the questions in the comments can!